We are so lucky to have a rich community of flora and fauna here in the Santa Monica Mountains. Ever wondered just how many species we have? Take a look at this list!
- Mammals : 50 Species
- Birds : 400 Species
- Amphibians : 35 Species
- Vertebrates : 450 Species
- Reptiles : 25 Species
- Special Amphibians : 5 Salamander Species, 6 Frog and Toad Species (2 are introduced)
Rare or in decline species:
- Two-striped garter snake
- Coastal western whip-tailed lizard
- San Diego mountain king snake
- Legless lizards
- Western pond turtle – extremely rare
These animals are found in 12 Santa Monica Mountains natural communities and 26 different vegetation types.
Thanks to nps.gov/samo for the information!
Post a comment